In all of the years that I have lived in and around the Parramatta area, I have forgotten on many occasion that Lake Parramatta exists. And there is no surprise why. This "oasis" is nestled between houses and James Ruse Drive - and it isn't until you enter the reserve under James Ruse Drive that you really realise that it is even there.
Last Sunday, I decided to explore the lake, so I packed a picnic breakfast for one, picked up the Sunday paper and headed out to North Parramatta for some breakfast, reading and maybe a walk.
[not everyone pays attention to the no swimming signs]
[Completed in 1856 this was the twelfth engineered dam built
in the western world, the first in Australia, and the second arch built
universally that involved calculations for its construction.
(Parramatta City
Council website)]
[i did not manage to do the circuit. it was 11:30am and already over 35 degrees with limited water and sunscreen. I did walk around the other side of the lake for a bit. Maybe I'll try one of the shorter walks next time]
[other water sports are allowed - there were a few canoes on the Lake]
If you are interested in visiting Lake Parramatta, it is located at 2D Bourke Street North Parramatta.The reserve contains three walking tracks, BBQs, picnic shelters and a playground. It is also the home to the Lake Parramatta Cafe. I have not tried the cafe.............yet.























Love it and love the history behind it. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteI love this lake - it's so beautiful and peaceful (and you already know how bummed I am about the no swimming)! It's torture to be there on a hot day and not be able to jump in.
ReplyDeleteThat lake looks so gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteLove the pink dress. Both look fab :)
I just found your blog and love it! I subscribed!
Take a look at mine and subscribe? I'm starting plus size curvy fashion posts soon :)
everyoneshouldsparkle.blogspot.co.uk