As part of my Adventures in
Parramatta series, I am exploring what my home has to offer. As soon as I read
that there was an Art Month event in Parramatta, I booked it and took along my
mum, to show her a few of the things that I have discovered over the past few
months; and to discover new ventures.
Before we headed to the Art Month event, we took in the Dreamers Market at Riverside Theatre Parramatta. Dreamers Markets is a quarterly markets containing homemade products by artists, designers and crafters. Whilst not all of it appealed to me, there were a few stalls with great products.
March is Art Month, a
festival of contemporary art in Sydney, in which participants are
invited to ".....try new art
experiences, visit Sydney's varied art spaces and explore art conundrums.” This year, there were a few Art
Month events that were centered around Parramatta. The one that I attended was
focused on the Pop
Up Parramatta spaces, an event called From Create to Space - a Parramatta
Tour.
Pop Up Parramatta is about "....injecting creative
enterprise and infrastructure into unused building and spaces in
Parramatta, by activating vacant commercial and retail spaces,
promoting Parramatta and the wider Western Sydney region and connecting,
building and supporting creative enterprise."
Starting at my unofficial
home away from home - Short Sweet
Bakery - we headed off down the street to Darcy Lane and Three Ropes
Cafe. Within Darcy Lane were the first of the herb ladders by Simon Cook, who
was also showing his VORSPRUNGARTEN [parramatta_grass_reverb]
“As an artist initiated installation this once lifeless Alley is
gradually transformed into an immersive habitat experience. Simon integrates
conceptual forms and biological processes, inviting viewer involvement each
month as plants grow over the exhibition season, through into Summer, with
night illumination.”
Next stop along Darcy Street was
a favourite shop of mine, Prospectors
Store.
“The meaning of the word “prospect” is essentially to have a view or an
outlook to be looking forward with anticipation and expectation. To be a
“prospector” is to be the person in charge of searching for hidden gold and
treasures whatever form they take.
The Prospector Store wants you to have a prospect and to be the
prospector. We want you to find the hidden gold within our collection.”
Here, the curator and artist
Geraldine explained the concept for her shop and display whilst everyone oohed
and aahed over the collection of curios and artesian creations available for
sale within. I have bought a few things already from Prospectors Store, and
today was not going to be any different. I inherited a beautiful matte blue
vase from my Grandma and the perfect companion piece was sitting on the shelf,
waiting for me to snap it up.
Next we wondered around the
corner, past the library, across Macquarie Street to the Pop Up Artists Studios
(located at 68 Macquarie Street is an old commercial building, previously
vacant, now full of artists studios.) This was my first visit to the Artists Studios
and it was fascinating listening to all of the artists speak about their work
and see a sample of what they do. What was interesting to learn was the
collaborative spirit that they all felt working within a studio space that
allowed them see and hear from other artists.
Next stop was the Connection Arcade
and the location of three Pop Up Parramatta stores/spaces. The Connection
Arcade is a fairly run down arcade in the shadow of Westfields, in a not particularly
savory part of Parramatta. In spite of this, it is the home to an amazing range
of Pop Up Stores (and an awesome bakery….).
First was The Infinite Everything.
The Infinite Everything is a
conceptual, dynamic shop and gallery space – a context for ideas and meaningful
creations, stocking ethically and locally handmade clothing, art, accessories,
as well as a friendly space for meaningful, refreshing encounters with
creativity and good vibes. Featuring ongoing installations, workshops, and
events based on sustainable and creative practices, as well as the only
quality, hand-picked vintage available in Parramatta.
It was great to see the way in
which they had up-cycled items into art and useful items.
Next was Ruth Fattal Designs.
On my daily walks through the Connection
Arcade, I always slow down to look in Ruth’s windows as she always has the most
amazing dresses hanging in her window displays. Ruth is a young designer, who
with the help of Pop Up Parramatta was able to open her own boutique and design
and make her dresses.
I missed her last collection launch/runway
show (due to a strata meeting in which no one turned up) so was glad to finally
see her collection on the racks.
Lastly was Kate McCoy.
This is another “slow down to see
the pretty things” shop within Connection Arcade. Kate is a jewellery designer,
who makes beautiful pieces. And on entering the shop I was glad to see that her
rings that I have been eyeing off for a few weeks can be re-sized and customised
for those of us without delicate lady fingers. Kate has had a few of her items recently included in the fashion editorial within the Good Weekend lift-out of the Sydney Morning Herald.
After the tour finished, we had a
lovely picnic in the Church Street Mall Park in front of St John’s Cathedral,
with food by – you guessed it – Short Sweet Bakery.
Before leaving Parramatta, we stopped in at the City of Parramatta Art Society gallery and shop. I have been eyeing off a watercolour for awhile and whilst it is currently out of my price range, I did pick up a smaller watercolour to fill the gap.
The tour was a great showcase of Pop Up
Parramatta and its artists and designers. The tour guide Jess Scully was entertaining
and knowledgeable on the artists and art in general. If you are interested in Art, there are many more events available to the end of March.









I'm really sad that i missed this as i think it's a great idea...boo! I also missed the dreamers market so I hope that comes back soon too.
ReplyDeleteThe Dreamers Markets will be back in Winter I think....
Delete