Sunday, March 10, 2013

Aussie Curves - Retro


I am a nineties girl. It was "my formative years". My high school years. My university years. The first years of full time work. The time, the music, the fashion and the friends I made during that decade holds a special place in my heart.
  • Me chilling at a party, my Dad's Uni graduation in a homemade dress, more party chilling
  • My Guns 'n' Roses Obsession, my Year 10 formal dress, Xmas after my HSC
  • My year 8 photo and NYE at Sydney Harbour
  • Beverley Hills 90210, Twin Peaks and Buffy - favourite shows of the nineties
  • Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Guns 'n' Roses - favourite bands during the nineties. I managed to see two of the those bands - one in the nineties and one............not at their prime (Axl - I'm looking at you)
  • My fashion choices during the nineties - band t-shirts (I owned this You Am I shirt), flannelette shirts over floral dresses and Doc Boots................I miss my original boots....

So in tribute to my favourite decade (that I lived though), I present my take on nineties fashion, featuring an article of clothing that my mother wished had been stolen/destroyed/caught on fire.....
My nineties Doc Boots were black, 8 holes and the best shoes I ever owned.
In a period of madness, in the mid 2000s, I chucked them. 
I regret that decision to this day.
I bought these floral ones on Styletread last year and I love them..............but I am saving for another pair of black, 8 holes.
Now we wore our Docs with jeans but we also wore them with dresses. Especially floral dresses. Matched with flannos/flannelette shirts (oh - my mother loved the nineties)
But as these boots were floral - i thought I'd team them with a simple black bodycon dress and black tights. Instead of a flanno (which I do not own), I matched it with a soft denim shirt I picked up at Katies recently. For those that think that Katies is just for clothes your mum wears - take another look. They have some pretty stylish stuff - that goes up to a size 20/ 2XL
So pretty...........
I hoped you enjoyed my nineties flashback. I am now off to listen to some Pearl Jam 10, whilst reading  Pearl Jam 20, whilst watching Pearl Jam 20 - The documentary on Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary.
x




6 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! this was such a great twist on the retro theme. Although, perhaps a litte frightening to think the music and fashions of our touth would ne be considered retro.

    I went to watch a 90's grunge tribute band play at a local pub a few months back. I was excited to be listening to music I loved and remembered.

    However, to my horror, I was spotted by some ex students I have taught. They were there to see the band play the 'retro' music. Alas, while I was reliving my youth, the youths I once taught were experiencing their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I love this post! Doc Martens are my love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Droooooooling over them docs! I so would love to own a floral pair of docs but they dont go up to my size! You look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh sigh, black 8 ups. How I miss thee. I had a permanent rings marked on my ankles from the straps being wrapped around them LOL. I do ♥ your floral one though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. je suis une grande fan des docs fleuries ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time someone tells me the early 90s were 20 years ago, and therefore the clothing can now be classified as "vintage", I feel a little older. I salute you, 90s sister. Love the Docs!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.