Tuesday, April 9, 2013

10 Random Things You Didn't Know About Me


  1. Family Reunions - I am from a large(ish) family, one of 4 kids. But my mother is one of 7 and her mother is one of 14. Every two years, the extended families gather for two family reunions. On the October long weekend every even year since 1978, families gather in Cobar (central western NSW) to celebrate being a Manns. There are sometimes up to 200 people crowded onto a camp site on one of my mum's Uncle's properties, rolling around in the red, red dirt. Then about 6 years ago, on what would have been my Grandfather's 90th birthday, my mum and her siblings and their kids etc gathered at our family holiday house in Cudmirrah (south coast NSW) to celebrate family and being a McNamara. I don't always make the Cobar one - "Helmans" (its a 9 hour drive and I don't like CAMPING) but I never miss "McBash". 
  2. Town Planner - I am a town planner. This came about after I studied Applied Science in Environmental Management as Bachelor's degree but had no idea what to use it as. I found work in a local council call centre and one-stop-shop; and seemed to gravitate towards enquiries that had to do with development and building matters. Encouraged by my managers at the time, I studied town planning and before finishing my degree, I was working as a town planner: crushing people's dreams on a daily basis (just kidding).
  3. First Concert - my first concert by an overseas band touring OZ was Pearl Jam in January of 1995. I finished my HSC (Higher School Certificate) the year before and as a present my parents bought me the ticket. This was the days before the internet and online shopping - so along with some friends, we slept out outside Parramatta Leagues Club to wait until 9am when Ticketek opened. It was a great night - both the sleep out and the concert. First concert by an Aussie band - You Am I. I think at Castlehill Showground........
  4. High School Obsession - once again this answer ages me, but I was obsessed with Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix  The walls of my (shared) bedroom were wallpapered (on my half) with posters of the two. I was devastated when River died of a drug overdose in when I was in year 11.
  5. First Job - from the age of 11, I worked in the local bingo hall attached to our Catholic Church. For between $5 - $8 a night, we cleaned up after the people, sold food and drink and gave out prize money. And we were exposed to second hand smoke. The bingo hall is no longer a bingo hall. They couldn't entice the patrons once the smoking ban came in. And from then on, I stuck to jobs that did not require me to wash my hair three times just to get the smell of smoke out.
  6. Book Club - I have been in a book club for about 6 years. We meet everyone 6 weeks or so, depending on school holidays as the rest of the members have kids. We have read some great books - Rebecca, Gone Girl, On The Beach, Pigeon English; we have also read some I didn't like - Cloud Atlas, The Man Who Loved Children. We have a meeting coming up soon - and will discuss Gone Girl. Oh - and yes - there is wine involved. Sometimes lots of wine.
  7. Pop Culture - I have an uncanny ability to store and retain pop culture (or CRAP) facts. I am pretty darn good at trivia nights that have a pop culture slant. Especially TV and music from the 90s.
  8. Pride and Prejudice - this is my favourite book. I read it at least once a year. I have seen pretty much all of the televised versions of the book. Yes - including that Colin Firth BBC one. I have at least three copies of the book as well. And a phone cover. And an iPhone dock. And a poster containing the entire book. EVERY SINGLE WORD.
  9. ABCTV - as children, we didn't realise there were any other channels than channel 2 or ABCTV, as that is all we were allowed to watch until I was at least 8 or 9. That meant I got to see great 80s programming like Hunter and Secret Valley; and knew to keep watching later for gems like Grange Hill,  Press Gang and Degrassi Junior High (later Degrassi High and Degrassi: Schools Out).
  10. Winter person - I love winter. Love it. Love the cold. Love the clothes. Love doonas. Bring it on.

19 comments:

  1. Yep, I think I knew most of them.. the mention of the park jam tix face me a smile...
    xoxo
    Maz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pearl jam, not park jam!
      silly Swype typing

      Delete
    2. made me smile... not face!!!

      Delete
  2. Keanu Reeves was my first Hollywood crush! I watched Speed everyday for a month, swoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it twice at the movies.....and his birthday is near min. Can't believe he is nearly 50...

      Delete
  3. So Degrassi has been firmly imprinted in my life as a very important show..... I still remember so many episodes vividly.....one of my sisters close friend is from sussex inlet and was a McNamara before she got married and Stand by Me is one of my most favourite films of all time... I LOVED THIS POST x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you mean the original Degrassi and not the new generation....cannot compare...
      I cry everytime I watch Stand by Me as when I first saw it River was still alive.... I love it.

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of the family reunion, sounds super fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they can be. they can also be very exhausting.

      Delete
  5. Oh the ABC. So many good shows. I still have a crush on Spike from Press Gang - didn't help that I bought it on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Spike and Linda. Dexter Fletcher isn't looking the best these days though.... at least we still have the Spike memories.

      Delete
  6. LOL - you crush people's dreams on a daily basis. Too funny (I love it)! I've always to join a bookclub - I think they sound fun. And I love your family reunions...agree Cobar is WAY too far though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unoffical motto.....however, karma being what it is, i do have to balance the crushing with the making peoples dreams come true....
      Book club is fun - as long as the people are fun. there have been a few people over the years that I haven't been sorry when they left....

      Delete
  7. haha love it Claire! Ive just been through a 5 month ordeal getting my house plans approved - I survived with only minor battle scars :) It's funny the path we take, and where we end up (career wise).
    My minimum camping standards are known as glamping - so I completely understand where you are coming from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 months!!! that's a long time. But you are in a smaller Council with more issues that some of the Sydney Council's (bushfires for one). We try and only leave minimal scaring at the end of the process.
      I agree with you Jo - GLAMPING or nothing. My friends keep trying to get us to camp as a group with their kids and I am like "is there cabins at this camping gorund with beds and showers and electricity" beacuse that is camping to me.

      Delete
  8. Keanu and River were my crushes too!! Keanu is still my number one!! I love him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always hold a place in my heart for Keanu....even if he is nearly 50.

      Delete
  9. I hear you on the ABC kids shows. That's all I was allowed to watch. I'm a bit older than you though so I was watching things like Monkey, Astro Boy, Inspector Gadget (not the new vamped up version) and Rodger Ramjet. And we were banned from watching You can't do that on television (my Mum thought it was a bad influence LOL). Hopefully you'll know at least some of those shows.
    Oh and I'm ashamed to say that I've never read or watched Pride & Prejudice. You've inspired me though, so I will make sure I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that much older - we were also fans of Inspector Gadget and Rodger Ramjet. A bit of Astro Boy but not Monkey Magic for some reason. I never got into You Can't Do That On Television......

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.