I love tea. And a I love high tea. But there are not a lot of high tea places within a quick trip from my place. Not that that is a bad thing - discovering new places is always pretty cool. But as you know I like to check out what's available in and around Parramatta and was pretty excited when my father asked whether I'd like to join the Parental Unit and my sister (out from the UK) to Lachlan's at Old Government House for High Tea to celebrate my mother's birthday.
Seated on the verandah of the old barracks building, we took in the views of Old Government House, whilst a nice breeze cooled us off.
First up was some warm canapes:
The vol au vent pastry shells were filled with sweet onion jam. The red onion was very nice, whilst the other one definitely needed the salty cheese on top to counter act the extreme sweetness of the onion.
Followed by some cool ones:
Confession - I didn't try the beetroot spoon as I hate beetroot but those who did gave it the thumbs up. The asian inspired one - with beef, eggs and noodles was a very refreshing mouthful.
Sandwiches are served:
The sandwich section was probably the most disappointing part.
- no traditional fillings (I love cucumber sandwiches)
- they were straight from the fridge - so cold and therefore the taste was numbed
But there was a delicious relish on the wrap.
Here come the scones:
Warm. Cooked perfectly. Not floury. Jam was OK - nothing special. Cream was not fresh - which was a little disappointing but for the semi-lactose tolerant part of me, a little happy. But together, the three were pretty special.
and finally the tower of sweets:
I had the nut and caramel tart on the bottom tier - which was average. The lemon in the lemon tart on the next tier was perfectly tart but the pastry was a little soft/soggy, and you can do no wrong with a chocolate covered strawberry. I didn't eat the chocolate truffle as after everything else, I was stuffed.
We washed the food down with orange juice, lemonade, a range of Madura teas and some white wine for the ladies.
The teas were subtle, not strong but pleasant. A little more hot (and I mean hot) water on the table would have been nice. All in all it was a pleasant afternoon. Not the best high tea I've ever been to but not the worst.

| Dress: Estelle Shoes: Wittner Cardigan: Katies Handbag: Oroton Earrings: Oroton |


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.