I grew up in Granville, NSW.
I (kind of) still live in Granville.
But I don't know everything about the place I call home. So when I discovered that the Information + Cultural Exchange at Parramatta were doing an architectural tour of Granville as part of Sydney Architectural Week, I was up for a local adventure.
The premise of the tour was not strictly an "architecture" tour; rather a tour that explores the unique ‘living’ and historic architecture and cultural transitions of a proud working class Western Sydney Suburb.
We started at the Granville Town Hall, built in 1888, 3 years after Granville was incorporated as a borough. It was the centre of local government in Granville until Granville joined the greater Parramatta City Council. It also housed the library until a newer one was built next door.And after living here for many years, this was the first time I had ever been in the building.
After that we headed to the Granville Swimming Centre. The pool underwent a major renovation a few years back, but a few of the old pool features have been kept. This building was a home away from home for me as a child - I learnt to swim here and even taught swimming for many years. It looks nothing like it used to but there are still glimpses of the pool I knew so well.
![]() |
| Next stop was the Granville RSL Club, which was built in the 1960's. Another local landmark that I have never visited, but I hear there is an awesome yum cha there. |
![]() |
| St. Mark's Anglican Church, built in 1882; which is used yearly to commemorate the Granville Train Disaster. |
![]() |
| Good Street shops, Granville Boys High (both heritage listed) and what Granville is famous for these days: Lebanese Chicken. |
![]() |
| Granville South High: this was the high school of the tour guide and head of ICE. |
The former Hoyts Crest Theatre of State significance. The cinema is one of the very few cinemas built in the late 1940s. The interior of the Crest Theatre reflects the cinema designs of the late 1930s continued into the post- World War II period in a simplified manner and, as such, is rare in New South Wales. The interior features intact decorative plasterwork, light fittings, drapery, candy bar and entry foyer, all largely intact. They have high aesthetic significance and their style is unique among the cinemas of New South Wales. The theatre's distinctive facades, original signage and corner location make it a prominent landmark in the locality. This building has social significance, as a local cinema from 1948 until 1963 and since then has been adapted for use as a public hall for social and entertainment purposes.
In my youth, I worked here when it was a local bingo hall. I met people here that are still friends to this day. I also had my first kiss out the back. It is probably my favourite building in Granville (for its heritage qualities, not the kissing bit).
This was the last visit of the day - which despite the rain and cold - was a great day out in my local neighbourhood.
For more information on the sites and on ICE: see http://ice.org.au/project/pearls/














Wow, there are some great buildings there (first kisses included/excluded). I love that the old pool still remains, hidden - but it's still there.
ReplyDelete