Sunday, August 4, 2013

Aussie Curves - Handmade

I have used this challenge as a personal challenge to myself to kick start my sewing hobby. My mum is a fantastic seamstress (sewer/maker of clothes), she made her wedding dress, her bridesmaids dresses, my formal dresses and my primary school uniforms. She has a fairly flash sewing machine that we bought her for her 60th and an overlocker. She is looking forward to the day when her and my father are empty nesters and she can claim the last kids bedroom as her sewing room. But as a child, I didn't care much for her flare for the homemade - I wanted new clothes, shop made clothes. But how times have changed.

When I decided I'd give this sewing caper a go, I bought a skirt pattern for $1 in Vinnies and attempted the skirt.............EPIC FAIL.
So I started again. This time with a stretchy tee pattern, a free pattern download from fabric store Tessuti. It was an "one size fits all" loose tee made with stretchy material.

Luckily for me, Spotlight had a 40% off all fabric sale on when I needed to buy material, so headed there with Jan Jan (mum) as my sewing guide. I choose a soft Japanese black and white striped jersey. As the pattern is downloaded, I had to put the pattern together and then cut it out - this was very simple thanks to the easy numbering on the pieces.
I managed to cut it out correctly - after Jan Jan placed the pattern on the material, and even sew it correctly. All was going well.................until I tried the tee on. It got over my large head and my body but the arm holes were for a very small "one size fits all" person. I looked like a T-Rex............

So I went back to Jan Jan and she made a a wedge pattern to insert into the arm holes; which I again managed to sew on correctly. I hemmed the neckline - but have left the arms and hem as Jan Jan wants to cuff the sleeves and I haven't decided on the length.

All in all, I am happy with this attempt at sewing and hope to continue..............I did buy some other fabric whilst at Spotlight...
Check out what the other girls made during handmade week..........

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I love the fabric (as you know) and I'm going to make mine when I get back from holidays. Good heads up re the arm holes...it'll probably be T-Rex on me too! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a fantastic job with that shirt, looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh it looks awesome!!! I would totally steal this off your washing line!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.