Sunday, June 2, 2013

Adventures in Parramatta - soup Sunday.

This was my first weekend, in what feels like ages, that I didn't have plans. A plan free weekend. A weekend where I could potter around the garden, catch up on washing and general housework.

Well that was the plan. Mother Nature had other plans. She turned on a rainy weekend for the first weekend of winter - meaning washing and drying clothes became a challenge and gardening was out of the question. And there was limited opportunity to clean once the house started to resemble a laundromat - with clothes hanging all over the place; and wet floors.

So what was a girl to do? Make soup of course.

It is no secret that I love winter. Doonas. Denim. Woollens. Heaters. And Soup.

So with supplies still available from my last trip to Castle Hill Farmers Markets, I hit the kitchen with my trusty Breville All in One and made two types of soup.

First up was something for tomorrow's No Meat Monday. I try and consciously refrain from eating meat at least once a week. There are other days that I don't eat meat - but those days are a fluke. I like meat and eggs and cheese etc too much to become vegetarian, but I try and buy ethical meat where possible and always buy free range or organic eggs. So tomorrow is Monday and I need a lunch time meal.

So it's Donna Hay's Roasted Pumpkin Soup to the rescue.
The other soup is a direct result of "I have cauliflower in the house - what the hell am I going to do with it?" Not a huge fan of cauliflower - except when it is dripping in white or cheese sauce - but waste not. So I have added cauliflower to the traditional Potato & Leek Soup. Oh - and I also added bacon - because bacon makes everything taste better. I mentioned I like meat didn't I?

So here is my tea for tonight.

Are you a fan of winter? Does the House of Stark family motto "Winter is Coming" fill you with dread?
Hope you had a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Now they look delicious!! Especially the butternut one - I haven't roasted butternut for aaages! Oh and guess what - my house looks like a laundry too. I do hope this rain does't last all week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my lazy, go to soup as it requires very little work - the oven does all of the work. Thanks for stopping by Robyn.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind winter but I wish we had a better/proper heater in our flat. I LOVE making soup - it's so easy. I have an entire pinterest board dedicated to soup...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky that I have a gas connection and a friend who didn't need her gas heater. Soup is the bomb - and I am not surprised you have a entire pinterest board to soup.

      Delete
  3. Hi Claire. Re your love of winter. My enjoyment of winter is on a cold night getting under the doona with the electric blanket on and going to sleep listening to radio(usually Philip Adams). Problem is you often wake up hot in the middle of the night

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.