Part of my decision to start this blog was that, in addition to sharing my love of fashion and shopping with you, was my intention to buy a house in western Sydney and to also share my love of the area and the fantastic things it can bring.
My family moved to the area over 30 years ago, and whilst I was not born here - I consider myself a Westie through and through.
Well, I have recently purchased in the area, and just in time to attend Parramatta Lanes. What is Parramatta Lanes, you ask? Parramatta Lanes is part of the Crave Sydney International Food Festival. It is a joint initiative between Crave (Sydney Morning Herald) and Parramatta City Council, in which some of the city's lanes and small spaces have been transformed into themed venues containing food, drink and entertainment.
Council has recently been putting a lot of resources into rejuvenating the city's network of lane ways and small spaces - and this joint venture seems to be the first.
[Disclosure: I work for Parramatta City Council. I was not asked to write this post nor did I receive any payment from them for this post - I did however receive my normal weekly wage from them. LOL]
So, last night I headed into Parramatta to meet up with my work colleagues for a drink and dinner in Parramatta's Lanes.
Dotted throughout the city were directional signs, leading you from one laneway to another. We knew that we wanted to start the evening with some cocktails, so we wound our way through the laneways to the last stop on the map - Erby Place.
Erby Place (cnr Erby Place and Phillip Street) was transformed into an Asian garden, beneath the jacaranda trees. Cocktails were provided by The Grasshopper, with three choices available, served in (plastic) jam jars, and drunk, perched on milk crates, some with comfy cushions.
My poison was #9 Long Lasting - plum wine, cranberry juice and caramel essence. Delicious. Others in the group downed a few #38 Triple Prosperity - White Rum with Jungle Juice. Apparently like a liquid Frosty Fruit.
To accompany the delicious cocktails, we paired them with some hand made Shanghai dumplings from Lan Lan.
Music was pumping from some strategically placed speakers - a nice mix for those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s.
We stayed until we decided we needed some dinner and left as the sun started to set.
My only criticisms of this area: no toilets and as it was not November, the jacarandas had yet to bloom.
In order to get to our next stop, we walked through Red Cow Lane (entry/exit at George Street), which had public domain works completed on it last November. As we weren't ready for dessert, we didn't stop for gelato. Some of the girls did stop for a photo with the Motel Sisters. The lighting in the lane was beautiful.
My only criticisms of this area: seemed to be in the wrong order. Having dessert type food in the second last lane (when people were flocking mainly to Erby Place and Darcy Lane) felt wrong.
This was a very popular lane. Batman Walk (between Horwood Place carpark and George Street and named after John Batman - founder of Melbourne and not the Caped Crusader). Batman Walk was transformed into a Parisienne lane, complete with baked goods and pastries from two local bakeries/cafes.
I admit that we did stop here three times. The salted butter and peanut macaroons were as good as any Zumbo does, and the flourless chocolate cake WAS TO DIE FOR.
As the sun set on Batman Walk, the lights came on, the musicians played for the crowds and people ate lots of macaroons.
My only criticisms of this area: maybe some tables and chairs for people to sit and enjoy the atmosphere.
Our last stop (well we did go back to Batman Walk for more baked goods) was Darcy Lane. This is the lane way closest to our office, we look onto the lane way everyday at work. And it never looks this vibrant, happy and interesting.
The theme of Darcy Lane was that of a eclectic street food venue - and with crepes, pizza, wraps and pork rolls available, it certainly was.
This is where I had major food envy. I went for the trusty pizza option - only to discover pork rolls further afield. Will definitely be coming back here next week to try the other options. Highly recommended was the fuit iced tea from Pinbone.
Parramatta Lanes continues next week - Thursday 25th and Friday 26th October, from 4pm until 9:30pm. I know that I will be returning to soak up more lane goodness - hope to see you there.
Here's hoping that more of these events occur within Parramatta over the coming months.
Does your local area put on cool festivals and events?
| Circa Bakery Flourless Chocolate Cake |
| Darcy Lane at night |
| Batman Walk |
| Three Ropes Cafe, Darcy Lane |
| Darcy Lane, looking onto the library |






Looks sooooo good! If I was home I would definitely be there! Thanks for sharing....didn't know this was even on.
ReplyDeleteOhhh, I didn't know about this! I've lived in Seven Hills (right next to Blacktown) for basically 24 out of my 26 years! Though we have just sold and are moving further out to Penrith!!
ReplyDeleteNice write up! You know...I ducked across the posh hotel when I was in Erby Place as I needed to make a loo stop...LOL! And the Roxy was visited as well. LOVED this festival - LOVED it! It showcased what Parramatta could be & good on the council for being so open to new ideas. Can't wait to go back tonight.
ReplyDeleteSuch a good idea, looks like great fun!
ReplyDelete