Sunday, July 8, 2012

Saturday Thrifting

I had big plans to head out and hit the local op shops, to see if I could source some small plates and bowls that would complement the many Johnson Australia dinner plates I have accumulated over the past weeks and months.
However, two auctions in our street meant I was house bound until the last hammer fell as we live at the end of a dead end street (or cul-de-sac as the auctioneers said) and we were parked in.
Finally the last hammer fell, and after a quick check of the opening times of my new favourite Salvos at North Parramatta, I hit the road with an hour 'til closing.
Here are my finds:
A vase to complement one I inherited from my Nanna. Her's is a similar colour but shorter and squat. 
Another Johnson plate. An orphan, on its lonesome. I thought I'd bought every Johnson plate in that Salvos, but there was still one gem waiting for me. 
an addition to my growing teapot and accompaniments collection. 
Some more vases similar to another vase I inherited from my Nanna. Her's is a coppery colour and little taller. 
The parental unit are off to see South Pacific at the Sydney Opera House next month. I bough them a copy of the soundtrack - on vinyl - for $1.

12 comments:

  1. I often find a lonesome piece of Johnson in my op-shopping and have to bring it home of course.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wrong to leave them alone.......better to be at home with your collection.

      Delete
  2. Your beehive vase is beautiful, I've never seen anything quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have noticed it except that my Nanna had one similar and they would look perfect together.

      Delete
  3. What awesome finds! That is one SUPERB vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it when I saw it........fate.

      Delete
  4. Some great finds, but can't go past the South Pacific soundtrack. SO coooool. One of my favourites of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not familiar with the music of South Pacific. Will have to download some songs ( don't have a turntable to actually listen to the vinyl)

      Delete
  5. I love your Johnson plate. I haven't seen that design yet and I love finding them too!
    It's fun to gradually gather a matching set. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a new one for me as well......I have a few matching sets but will probably go with a mismatched set...

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.