A few years ago, I made a pledge to myself to try and not buy my fruit and vegetables from the big 2 supermarkets. Whilst this is not always possible - last minute need for ingredients and their damn convenient opening times - when I can I shop for my fruit and vegetables at the mini Parramatta Markets. There is not a huge range there, so sometimes its not best option but I like buying from the grower rather than a corporation. So whilst I await the revamped Parramatta Farmers Markets, I have to throw my net a little wider and head out to the wilds of the Hills Shire, and the Castle Hill Showground for the Hawkesbury Harvest Markets.
Generally held on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month, the markets house a large range of stalls containing everything from fruit and vegetables, to free range eggs, free range meats, plants, breads, diary products and gourmet meat products.
I generally start the morning with a fresh bacon and egg roll. With maybe a chai. Or a freshly squeezed juice.
I then wheel my trolley around to collect my regular items:
- zucchini fritters
- free range JUMBO eggs
- fruit and vegetables
Sometimes, like last Saturday, I stop at the plant stall and pick up some seedlings or plants.
Other times stop at one of the few gourmet bread stalls. Or the gourmet baked goods stand.
There is normally a chance to pick up some goodies for the dogs. Or freshly cut flowers. Or even a case of cider.
Its worth the extra money and early morning, knowing you are buying from the growers and that the produce is fresh and local.


Wow, what a great haul! I love this markets -- I've heard though if/when the start building the rail line in Castle Hill the showground will go as that's where the station will be. I hope they relocate somewhere as I'd really miss them...a lot!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about that when I was there as The Hills Shire Council have already bought a new building for their staff........here's hoping they do find an alternative site...
Delete